So this week I started back to actually servicing stores. It seems that upper management had an "aha" moment and realized that if the people they were paying a salary to went out to service stores then then they wouldn't have to pay a part-time employee - therefore saving money for the company. I'm surprised it took them this long to figure it out. But you know how it is - we seem much more manager like if we're sitting in front of a computer looking at facts and figures and making phone calls instead of slinging books and magazines.
Anyway - I had to pick two stores close to me to service. Had to be withing 15 miles one way so I couldn't claim any travel costs on my expense report. (No driving to Tallahassee or Daytona just to put out books - ha!) I had plenty to chose from - there are an abundance of stores in my area. I had a choice of 2 home improvement stores and 3 arts and craft stores. (I mention no names in case any of my employees try to track me down by obscure internet searches.) So in order to keep from taking away from Feisty Irish Wench's paycheck I didn't take either of the home improvement stores. (Yes - she's one of my employees but were were friends before either one of us got these jobs. Friendship comes first.) So I picked two of the craft stores but not the one that is only one mile from my house. Various reasons - all valid in my own mind.
So yesterday and today I serviced the two craft stores. Store one was supposed to be a 2:30 visit. I was there for 4:30 instead. Okay - I gabbed a little with the store manager and I had only serviced this store one or two other times so I had to look for some of the racks. Found a few things wrong - but on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being perfect I'd give it a 3. Then we have today. The lady who was servicing this store had been hired and trained by me 3 months ago. I don't think this was the job for her. She obviously was missing a few important points in how to get this job done. I don't see how that can be since I trained her - did follow up training and the reps get written instruction on every aspect of this job. "When doing the mainline reset only send back these titles if your mainline is on the wall." Ummm - her mainline is NOT on the wall - that is obvious in the fact that it's sitting in the middle of the drive aisle. So why did she send back the books and leave a big empty spot on the rack? *slapping head* I was supposed to be in this store 2:45 and was there for 6 hours. I didn't stop the entire time. I found magazines that were supposed to be pulled for credit in November and December. I replaced labels, filled holes on the mainline left by her returning product that wasn't supposed to be returned, downstocked the kids area, dusted and straightened, reset the lane blocker with wedding magazines (she recorded this as being completed last week but it only had 2 wedding magazines on it - it should have had 12) and the list goes on. On my 1-10 scale this store gets a 6. It still needs work but I can get more done next week.
The second store was mine before I ever became the DM for this area so I know a lot of the employees already. They were happy to see me back. But the store has a new manager who I didn't get to meet. Seems they sent him to TX for training for a week. Maybe he'll be there next week. I hope he's nice. The previous manager got sent to another store. I'll have to plan an "audit" of that store so I can go see her and say Hi.
Kids are out of school tomorrow but I have an office day. My office is in my home. I hope they don't bother me too much. It'd help if I could put doors on my office so I could shut them out! LOL Probably won't happen though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Remind me again what we were thinking when we took the job in the first place?
Oh wait, it's an easy job, we just work for monkeys
::cue 2006 Super Bowl ad for Careerbuilder.com::
We don't work for monkeys - we work for baboons. Get your primates straight!
Post a Comment